Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Southern Dedication


I love being a southern woman!
Ya’ll, bless her heart, ain’t, fit to be tied, a heap, reckon, fixin, tarnation, yonder and more.

Translation for non-southerners:
Ya’ll: You all, a group of people.
Sentence: Ya’ll come back now, ya hear?

Bless her heart: Poor thing (pity)
Sentence: She’s got such crooked teeth, bless her heart.

Ain’t: won’t; not
Sentence: I ain’t going to the store alone. Or. She ain’t right.

Fit to be tied: Upset, angry
Sentence: I’m so mad; I’m fit to be tied.

A heap: tons, a lot
Sentence: That’s a heap of collards.

Reckon: I guess
Sentence: I reckon I’ll help you TP her house.

Fixin: about to do something.
Sentence: We’re fixin to leave Wal-Mart.

Tarnation: surprise or what in the world?
Sentence: What in the tarnation is she doing at this bar-b-cue?

Yonder: measures distance
Sentence: There’s a sale on shoes on that aisle over yonder.

Okay, to be honest, I don’t say all of these words, but I do say most. Being a southern woman is a great privilege. We love wholeheartedly, are polite, display hospitality, smile, are generous, and fun.

We are there for others!
If someone gets stuck in the mud while bogging, we will call our husband/boyfriend (whichever is available first...just kidding ya'll) to grab his truck and chains and go pull ‘em out.

If our cousin’s friend’s mother passes from a heart attack due to high cholesterol, we will gather up a group to take collards, pork chops, biscuits, mac & cheese, a jug of sweet tea, and a pecan pie by the house to show we are thinking of the family.

If we are out with our girlfriend and run in to the girl who sleeps around (bless her heart), we will politely smile while softly talk about her between clenched teeth.

Southern women are dedicated to God, family, friends and tradition. We say “mam” and “please and thank you.” We are strong and independent; yet expect to marry a gentleman. We say what we mean while maintaining a sense of dignity and charm. We forgive easy, love hard and can make anyone feel welcome with a home cooked meal.

Above all, we are very intelligent! Southern Women are labeled as dumb; but who else can charm a man and get him to "do her bidding" simply with an accent, twirling her pearls, and using psychology? (and we didn't even have to get a degree to learn how to use that psychology)

We keep up with today's fashion while adding our own twist(i.e. boots and/or big hair). We have a certain sweetness to us that other’s can’t figure out and we value our reputation.

I am blessed and delighted to be a southern girl; ya’ll know what I mean?

P.S. I dont have a boyfriend,I love my hubby, I dont TP peoples homes, talking about someone behind their back is wrong and gossip is a sin...but I did have fun writing this for you southerners! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment