Saturday, January 16, 2010

Welcome & More

Hi Friends! Welcome to my new blog!

I started this blog because I have been seeking other ways to let my creative juices flow. Many friends and family who have been to my house "ooooh and aaaaah" over items I decorate with. Each time they are amazed that either:
A. I took an old piece of furniture and "re-did" it myself.
B. Purchased the item they "just love" at a yard sale.
C. Got my picture, or bed frame, or cabinet at a thrift store.

More than once I have been asked to help another with decorating their home. The thing is, I don't think I am good at coming up with decorating suggestions on the spot...so I usually decline or act like I forgot that they asked. This decorating thing that people think I have has come from many years of purchases, or wanting a new dresser and not being able to afford anything more than a can of spray paint to change it myself, or hunting yard sales and thrift stores.

My decorating style as my husband likes to call it is "Old-People stuff with some young people stuff thrown in". I told him it is referred to as "Vintage with a Modern Twist"....thank you very much.

So I started this blog to hopefully help you release those creative juices of yours when you want to add new items to your collection or re-decorate your house but have only $10. The good thing is the stuff I get range from 5¢ to around $30, so it can fit many budgets.

I hope this blog will help you see that $1.00 cabinet door at the yard sale as a picture frame. Or that it just gets you out to go to yard sales, thrift stores and sale racks instead of high-end stores when you just have to spend that dollar you don't have.

So sit back, check in at least once a week, and start putting your creativity to use!!!

WALL ART Cheaper than WAL-MART
Here begins our adventure in to Cheapville, USA. Our first stop along the way is Wall Art Ave. The pictures on these walls range from 5¢ to $9. With these items you don't need perfect credit or a financial planner. There is 0% interest and no monthly payment. Wall Art Ave displays some of the cheapest art available.
Picture #1
$1.00 Cabinet Door and 50¢ pictures with no frames purchased from three different yard sales: Creative juices...get to work!

I hope you can see this picture. The "frame" is a cabinet door I got for $1.00 at a yard sale. I saw it sitting over by its lonely self. I had no idea what I was going to do with it until I got home. While rummaging for paint, I noticed two pictures I had purchased a few months earlier at a yard sale for about 50¢ a piece, but had not gotten around to finding frames for them. So I got some glue- forwent the paint- and proceeded with making a wall hanging for my kitchen.
Picture #2
Art surrounding my art. These items were FREE! My grandmother was getting rid of a few items and no longer wanted these two pictures.

So I stuck them by my creation


Picture #3
My $1.50 a piece pictures from a yard sale I happened upon when heading to town one day
Picture #4
10¢ a piece pictures from Salvation Army hanging in my room.
(Note: Here is an example of the "Old People Stuff" he referred too) Pressed flowers in frames...can't say I blame him...
Picture #4
Picture in middle $1.00. Pictures on top and bottom, gift from a friend that she got at a yard sale for me. She knows my style ;)
Picture #5
Needed something to cover my electrical box, couldn't afford a wall covering, so got this rug for $9.00 at a thrift store.

Picture #6
My dollar store pictures and my thrift store bottle collection


There you have it. Just a few of my pictures that I have found for low, low prices along with having to get creative!!
So the next time you see those 50¢ pictures with no frame and stumble upon a cabinet door...grab 'em up and get to work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment